Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day Nine Crossing Thorung Pass to Muktinah

Rick, Bikas, Sandi and Tanas at 17,000 feet Thorung Pass
At 4:30 in the morning the sky was clear and filled with stars. The mountains were shining against the dark sky. We bundled up, Rick ate his omelette and I tried to eat porridge with honey. As quickly as possible, we started slogging up  through the snow with our headlamps showing the way. It was up, up, and up....one foot in front of the other. The wind was blowing and my fingers were aching. We trudged single file along the track behind the Japanese group. They were going even more slowly than I was, but, thankfully, they stepped in a little hut for tea and Rick and I kept walking. Sunrise was a blessing because our backs were warmed even though the wind continued. Finally, two and one half hours after leaving High Camp (16,000 feet) we reached the pass. Bikas brought us steaming mugs of lemon tea from the little tea hut and it warmed my fingers. After pictures at the top  with Bikas and Tanas we headed down the steep pass to Muktinah. That trail was icy and then muddy, but at least my fingers were warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment